What is the temporomandibular joint?
It is a sliding and pivoting joint near the ear that allows the movements of the lower jaw. Problems may arise when the jaw pivots upon opening, closing, or lateral movement. Thus the joint and the masticatory muscles can be affected or even cause a dysfunction of the jaw called temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
- Ear pain despite the absence of infection
- Intense jaw pain in the morning or at the end of the day
- Pain while chewing, biting or yawning
- Clicking sound on opening and closing of the mouth
- Difficulty in opening and closing the mouth
- Blocking or stiffening of the jaw while speaking
- Sensitivity of teeth without any observed dental problems